Introduction to Embedded Technologies
I’m working on embedded technologies majorly on Linux software. Here I would like to summarize the stuffs that I have learned so far.
Below are the technologies that can be present in a typical high-end complex embedded system.
- Processor(s) – widely ARM processor is being used
- Serial interfaces
- UART – Universal Asynchronous Receiver-Transmitter
- I2C – Inter-integrated Circuit
- SPI – Serial Peripheral Interfaces
- USB – Universal Serial Bus
- Storage systems
- ROM – Read-only Memory
- NOR flash memory
- NAND flash memory
- eMMC – embedded MultiMediaCard
- SD, SDIO – Secure Digital, Secure Digital Input Output
- Peripherals, interfaces and other miscellaneous hardware components in SoC
- DDR – Double Data Rate
- GPIO – General Purpose Input/Output pins
- Various buses like AHB, AXI, etc.
- Clock controller
- PCIe – Peripheral Component Interconnect Express
- Crypto block
- LCD – Liquid Crystal Display
- Jtag – Joint Test Action Group interface
- Ethernet interfaces
- Bluetooth module
- Zigbee module
- Power control module
- Other remote processors / co-processors inside the SoC for various applications
- Power regulators
- PHY modules
- Various external hardware connectors like USB connector, PCIe connectors, etc.
- LEDs for various functional indications
In the upcoming articles, I would like to explain in detail of my understanding and knowledge in some of the above components.
Also, I will try to explain on the various software features in Linux Kernel.
I will also post on other stuffs that I have come across that will be helpful to other people working on Embedded Systems.